Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Flamstead War Memorial (what is happening about your local memorial?)

Flamstead
A couple of years ago I decided I would try and photograph as many Hertfordshire war memorial as possible in time for the coming anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War. It soon became clear that (1) this was being overambitious and (2) most towns and villages seem to have had the same idea and are documenting their own. However a year ago I visited the parish of Flamstead and took a number of pictures of the Parish Church and the war memorial which I posted on Geograph.
Flamstead War Memorial
Geograph allows high-resolution pictures - which means you can zoom in on the inscription, and Colleen emailed This is a great pic of the war memorial.  My friend's great uncle, George William Flitton is commemorated on here.  I'm tracing her family tree and only recently discovered George William.  I can't wait to tell her about another relative.  Keep up the good work with the super photos.

This not only reminded me I have a backlog of photographs of Hertfordshire to post on Geograph, but caused me to check to see what was happening online. 

The Flamstead Parish Council have a page on the war memorial with a full list of names, and they adding further information (last update in August)

They are also working with the Ver Valley Remembrance Group, which includes Redbourn (war memorial page), Markyate, Childwickbury Estate and (just over the ciunty boundary) Luton Hoo estate.

If you know of a Remembrance Group working in any other Hertfordshire towns or villages let me know by posting details as a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.